Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A friendly rejection


Today's letter comes from one Miss Addie Bowker to Egbert Garfield.  The Bowkers and Garfrields regularly pop up in my family's stories and as cousins here and there, and somehow we ended up with a fair number of letters that were written to dear Egbert, though no one knows quite how they came into our collection.  This is one of two letters that we have from Addie to Egbert, and I only wish I could have seen the one he sent her that preceded it.  
This letter has excellent spelling, which made my life easy with only two minor mistakes in the first part of the letter, and just one in the second section.  It is that word "finly" that causes slight confusion as it could be meant as either finally or finely, and it is impossible to know which as both would fit in the context.  
"1869
Guilford Center Aug
Egbert,
I received your letter a short
time since and will now endevor
to answer it this beautiful Sabbath
afternoon.  I find it a rather
difficult subject to write upon.
    But I might as well tell 
you first as last, I am sorry
that you ever thought of me
any farther than a friend 
and aquaintance.  I fear if we
should be ever be married that
we should be an unhappy 
couple.  Matrimony is a subject 
that should be well weighted
for it is taking a step for
life.  I hope you will look 
farther and find some one that
would be better fitted for the 
place than I am, someone 
that will make your life
smooth and easy and happy.
    I hope you will think of me
no more than a friend and 
acquaintance here after for as
such I shall ever retain you.
    The Guilford mineral Springs
are prospering finly the
city people are giving great
attention to them the village
is full of them.  it is getting 
late and I will close
from Addie Bowker
Guilford Center
Vermont "
I love the cool-headed response that Addie gives, there is no passion in this letter, which makes it somehow a little more sad in my mind.  Also, the transition from "no, I won't marry you" to "by the way, business is booming"--particularly set apart by two blank lines on the page--is clearly (at least in my mind) the effort of a woman to regain control of her friendship and to not close the letter with rejection; an attempt to create conversation, even if it is awkward.  I can see such a scene playing out in a parlor where a young woman rejects her suitor, hesitates then goes on to talk about the farm conditions, weather, or the previous week's sermon.  No amount of technological innovation will remove awkward silences followed by awkward segues.
This letter has excellent spelling, which made my life easy with only two minor mistakes in the first part of the letter, and just one in the second section.  It is that word "finly" that causes slight confusion as it could be meant as either finally or finely, and it is impossible to know which as both would fit in the context.  

No comments:

Post a Comment